Image by @NickyColman via Flickr
There are many signs that show someone has a problem with alcoholism. If someone is considered a progressive alcoholic this means that their addiction is and will continue to worsen over time.
If you have someone that you love dealing with any of the following signs they need help.
1) A pattern of drinking, which puts them in dangerous situations.
2) Drinking to the point of passing out or sickness.
3) A change in behavior while drinking or after drinking.
4) Missing work because of drunkenness.
5) Leaving work early to go drink with their buddies.
6) Neglecting their responsibilities at home or in other places.
7) Neglecting family members and being irritable with them.
8) Living for the next drink.
9) Signs of depression and moodiness when they have not had a drink in a while.
10) The need for more and more alcohol to reach the same stage of numbness or high.
An alcoholic will rarely acknowledge that they have a problem, never mind that they need help. There are a few things that you can do to try to help:
1) Stage an intervention with friends and family.
2) Remind the alcoholic of the consequences of alcohol.
3) Be available for them if they need help, but do not support their drinking.
4) Join a group that offers support to family members of alcoholics. They will be able to encourage you and give direction.
Until the alcoholic comes to the place where they see a problem and seek help there will be very little that you can do.